June 9, 2014
Open Studio Seeks a Technical Director
Open Studio Seeks a Technical Director.
Deadline: Friday, June 20th at 5 p.m.
OPEN STUDIO, Canada’s leading printmaking centre, is a charitable, non-profit, artist-run centre dedicated to the production, preservation and promotion of contemporary original fine art prints. Open Studio offers affordable and equal access to printmaking facilities, programs and services for artists from across Canada and abroad. As an artist-run centre, it is Open Studio’s priority to support artists in the development of their professional endeavours.
Reporting to Open Studio’s Executive Director, the Technical Director will be responsible for managing Open Studio’s 6,000 sq/ft comprehensive printmaking studio, education program, custom printing program, and artist residency program. Working closely with Open Studio staff and artist membership, the Technical Director will foster a supportive and positive community to ensure optimal conditions for successful artistic practice.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Manage studio facilities rental program, including new studio user portfolio reviews, studio user contracts, and studio orientations.
- With support from Adminstrative Assistant, and working with the Education Committee, manage and develop education program, liase with Education Committee, set curriculum, and secure instructors.
- Manage and develop custom printing program, including client quotes/contracts, hiring printers, and overseeing projects.
- Manage artist residency program, including coordinating/advising jury, hiring printers, and overseeing projects to completion.
- Manage studio operations including all general maintenance and repair work, sourcing outside contractors/suppliers, monitoring related revenue/expense budgets, coordinating volunteer janitors, and preparing studio user communications.
- Working with Health & Safety Committee, maintain a safe working environment, including ensuring Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System’s requirements are met.
- Manage printmaking supply sales program, including maintaining inventory, and weekly filling/invoicing of orders.
Terms of Employment:
This position is full-time, one-year contract with an option for renewal, (35 hrs/wk) with an initial three-month probationary period.
Anticipated start date: July 21, 2014.
$35,000 plus benefits including free studio access, tuition-free access to education program, comprehensive supplemental health insurance benefits, and 4 weeks paid vacation.
- Fine art degree in print media or equivalent experience.
- Extensive knowledge in technical process of screenprinting, intaglio, relief, and/or lithographic processes and related equipment.
- Skilled in developing respectful and positive interpersonal relationships.
- Extensive customer service skills.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge and respect for diverse aesthetic, cultural and ideological points of view.
- MFA in print media.
- Fluency in French or another second language.
- Experience in artist-run centres or non-profit organizations.
Application deadline: Friday, June 20th at 5 p.m.
Please submit by email only to jobs[at]openstudio.on.ca.
Please include covering letter, detailed curriculum vitae and contact information for three references, including at least one technical and one employment reference.
Only applicants invited to interview will be notified. No inquiries please.