Visiting Artist Residencies
Submission Deadline: September 15
Open Studio’s Visiting Artist Residency program provides professional artists with the opportunity to realize a creative project in print media using methods that range from traditional to experimental approaches, regardless of the artists’ familiarity with or experience in print media. Although technical skills are not taught during the residency, artists with and without print experience are encouraged to apply.
If your application has been selected, and prior to scheduled residency dates, a meeting or teleconference is planned between Open Studio’s Technical Director and the Visiting Artist to discuss the planned project. Recognizing that project proposals may change with time or based on the advanced technical input provided by the Technical Director, we will do our best to accommodate necessary changes from the original proposal, keeping in mind program limitations. Once the project details have been finalized and agreed to by both the Technical Director and the Visiting Artist, a skilled collaborative printer or printer’s assistant is subcontracted, as deemed appropriate.
The role of the collaborative printer is to print projects for those artists who lack the technical skill to print for themselves. Artists who do possess the necessary technical skills to realize their project may request the support of a printer’s assistant, based on project requirements. Neither the collaborative printers nor printer’s assistants are in the studio on a full time basis; the Technical Director will coordinate a mutually agreeable schedule. Unlike some residencies, Visiting Artists are not expected to be in the studio on a full-time basis during the residency period; the actual time spent by the Visiting Artist will vary, taking into consideration specific project needs.
Visiting Artist Residency Projects will be scheduled to take place between the months of September and April, starting a minimum of one year following the application deadline.
- A two-person Visiting Artist exhibition in the Open Studio Gallery.
- CARFAC Artist Exhibition Fee based on two-person show.
- Artist Talk with $150 Honorarium.
- Up to $300 materials budget. Materials fees beyond this budget will be the responsibility of the artist.
- Up to two months free access to Open Studio facilities, subject to project requirements.
- Up to 50 hours of support from a collaborative printer or printer’s assistant, as deemed appropriate. Printers’ fees beyond this budget will be the responsibility of the artist.
*Please note that while Open Studio does not provide financial support for travel or accommodation, we are happy to supply artists accepted to the program with a letter of support to be used for funding applications.
The visiting artist will be required to:
- Provide the Studio with one proof from every edition printed during the residency period. These proofs become part of the Open Studio’s Archives.
- Provide the Studio with one fundraising prints.
- Maintain a consistent art production schedule during the tenure of the residency period.
- Present an artist talk at the opening reception of their exhibition.
Submissions will be juried and notification sent out approximately eight weeks from the deadline. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of the competition. No telephone or email inquiries, please. The Selection Committee is comprised of 5 peer jurors as follows:
- Chair of Open Studio’s Programming Committee
- A member of Open Studio’s Programming Committee
- An Open Studio artist member
- An artist/curator/writer/arts administrator from the larger visual arts community or an Open Studio artist member
- A past Open Studio Visiting Artist
Open Studio’s Technical Director attends this meeting as a technical resource but does not vote.
For our general eligibility guidelines, please click here.
Past visiting artists include:
Diyan Achjadi, Micah Adams, Stephen Andrews, Rebecca Baird, Hollis Baptiste, Nadine Bariteau, Tine Bech, Katie Bethune-Leamen, Shary Boyle, Bill Burns, Sheila Butler, Michael Caines, Lyn Carter, Kai Chan, Trudie Cheng, Hannah Claus, Stephanie Cormier, Mark Crofton Bell, Pete Dako, Sarindar Dhaliwal, Reid Diamond, Mario Doucette, Erik Edson, Caitlin Erskine-Smith, Liza Eurich, Sadko Hadzihasanovic, Catherine Heard, Karen Henderson, Kristiina Lahde, Catherine Lane, Barbara Lounder, Kate McQuillen, Hazel MeyersMichael Morris, Suzanne Nacha, Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay, Minh Nguyen, Sarah Nind, Tom Ngo, Paul P., Roula Partheniou, Ed Pien, Sasha Pierce, Endi Poskovic, Ben Reeves, Ted Rettig, Mitch Robertson, Liliana Rodriquez, Judith Schwarz, John Scott, Meredith Setser, Suzie Smith, Andrew Sneddon, Greg Staats, Leesa Streifler, Beth Stuart, Jennie Suddick, Derek Sullivan, Shaan Syed, Ho Tam, Monica Tap, Jeannie Thib, Patrick Traer, Alexei Vella, Jim Verburg, Joy Walker, Scott Waters, Jacob Robert WhibleyColette Whiten, Paul Wong, Johannes Zits.