Eligibility and Submission Guidelines
Annual Deadline for Submissions: Applications must be received by Open Studio by 11:59 pm EST on May 1. Please note that you must also submit two letters of academic reference from post-secondary instructors who are familiar with your work. Reference letters should be mailed separately and must arrive at Open Studio by 5 pm on May 1.
The Don Phillips Scholarship is for a student currently enrolled in an undergraduate art program (full or part-time) with a printmaking major at an accredited Canadian institution who will be graduating in the Spring of the year of application and who will not be returning to studies full-time in September.
- The recipient will be chosen for artistic merit. The recipient’s main activity will be in print media.
- Students from all Canadian post-secondary institutions are eligible.
- The recipient must have sufficient technical ability to be able to work independently in a cooperative facility.
The scholarship recipient will receive the following:
- Rent-free access to the Studio for a period of one year starting the September following your application submission. There must be a minimum stay of eight months.
- Assistance for professional development workshops of $500.
- Materials assistance up to $1000 for materials used during tenure.
- Tuition-free access to workshops and one eight-week class offered by Open Studio. (Subject to the courses having met minimum enrollment and having not exceeded the maximum).
- Exhibition in the George Gilmour Gallery with Exhibition Fee $300.
- Open Studio is equipped for artists working with photographic, digital and other hybrid art forms within print media.
The scholarship recipient will be required to:
- Provide the Studio with one proof from every edition printed during the scholarship period. These proofs become part of the Open Studio’s Archives.
- Provide the Studio with two fundraising prints.
- Maintain a consistent art production schedule during the tenure of this scholarship.
- The recipient will be required to pay only the applicable materials or supply fees.
- Present an artist talk at the opening reception of their exhibition.
Submissions will be juried* and notification sent out approximately eight weeks from the deadline. Submissions not selected will be returned in the self-addressed, stamped envelopes provided. If you have not provided a self-addressed stamped envelope, your submission will not be returned. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of the competition. No telephone or email inquiries, please.
The Fellowship Selection Committee is comprised of 3 jurors as follows:
- A member of Open Studio’s Programming Committee
- An Open Studio artist (member or renter)
- An arts educator who has not been cited as a reference in any of the applications under consideration.
*Open Studio’s Director attends this meeting but does not vote.
Annual Deadline for Submissions: Applications must be received by Open Studio by 11:59 pm EST on May 1.
For eligibility requirements, please click here.